16 Reasons Why Eating Cantaloupe Benefits Your Health
Cantaloupes aren’t a fruit typically associated with health, which is a shame. These sweet, succulent melons are absolutely loaded with nutrients and antioxidants, yet contain very few calories. A generous helping of cantaloupes a day is enough to fill the body with vitamins A and C, potassium, fiber, and much more. Cantaloupes can lead to a healthier, happier you, and here’s how:
4. Cataracts – Vitamin A also maintains good eyesight and lessens the chances of developing cataracts.
5. Cholesterol – More than just eliminating free radicals, cantaloupe antioxidants combat the oxidative stress that cause low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels to shoot up.
6. Healthy skin – Cantaloupe are an excellent food for beautiful, glowing skin: vitamin C encourages collagen formation, vitamin A promotes skin regeneration, and the high water content hydrates the skin.
7. High-blood pressure – Another nutrient that these melons have in abundance is potassium, the mineral that counteracts sodium and stabilizes blood pressure.
8. Immune system – Cantaloupes are efficient in strengthening the immune system, owing to their wealth of vitamin C.
9. Insomnia – If you’re struggling to get a good night’s sleep, go ahead and munch on some cantaloupe. It’s an excellent source of inositol, a B-vitamin that can induce sleep like sleep medication, but without any of the side effects.
10. Menstruation issues – Women who suffer from menstrual cramps and other related problems may find relief in cantaloupes. Not only do they reduce the flow of blood, but they minimize clotting as well.
11. Metabolic syndrome – This is the collective term for the conditions that can increase your risk of heart disease and diabetes, namely high-blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels. These can all be mitigated and controlled by frequently consuming the nourishing fruit that is the cantaloupe.
12. Muscle cramps – Without potassium, you become more prone to muscular cramps and injury. Fortunately, cantaloupes are full of this essential nutrient.
13. Nicotine withdrawal – Cantaloupes are packed with nutrients that can help smokers deal with their nicotine withdrawal symptoms in a more efficient manner. One other benefit ex-smokers can get from cantaloupes is their ability to replenish vitamin A lost from constant smoking.
14. Pregnancy – The vitamin B9, or folic acid, in cantaloupes ensure that babies aren’t born with neural tube defects.
15. Stress – Potassium aids the body in more ways than one: It boosts the supply of oxygen to the brain and normalizes heartbeat. These in turn can help you feel more relaxed.
16. Water retention – Sodium causes you to retain water, but cantaloupes greatly diminish its effects. If you want to lose a bit of weight, you can’t go wrong with adding cantaloupes to your diet.
Simply put, cantaloupes are among the best fruits to have in your home. And with summer in full swing, you can transform your cantaloupes into delicious, healthful summer treats to help you beat the heat.